Shapewear has been around for centuries. Throughout history, women have been squeezed, cinched, and tied into clothing, for what was mostly aesthetic reasons back then. Today, there are far more reasons to wear shapewear, than simply making you look more appealing. There are mental, emotional, and physical benefits to wearing shapewear.
In some cases, it can help with anxiety and depression. It can make workouts more effective. And it can help in reducing pain in the legs and back. A lot of research has gone into making shapewear what it is – clothing that helps you look great, feel great, and even makes you a healthier version of you.
There are a number of different kinds of shapewear. It’s important to look for the pieces that will give you the benefits you’re looking for. Our bodies are all so different, so your goals may not be the same as your best friend’s. We’re going to look at some of the different benefits you can get from various pieces of shapewear, and also discuss what is important to look for when you’re choosing your own shapewear.
Shape Your Body. Reach Your Goals.
Shapewear, as the name indicates, helps to present your body with a shape that you are trying to obtain through other, more long-term measures. But, shapewear can give you that shape immediately! Slipping into your favorite piece of shapewear can cut your waist down by one to four inches, instantly. Looking in the mirror, and seeing yourself looking the way you would like to, can be highly motivating. That, in itself, is a benefit. Shapewear makes it where you don’t just have to imagine what you’ll look like when you shed the inches you want. You can actually see yourself with less inches, by putting on your shapewear. So, wear your shapewear regularly, maintain a healthy diet, and live actively, and you’ll be on your way to reaching those long-term goals. Be sure to check shapewear and accessories online.
Strengthen Your Muscles
The compression technology used to create shapewear can help you strengthen your muscles. What happens is, the compression actually keeps the muscles from resting idly. The compressed muscles stay engaged to some level, which leads to increased strength in areas such as, your back, your thighs, your rear, and especially your core. Wearing shapewear for your workouts is a great way to capitalize on this benefit. Your muscles will work to their highest range of exertion, so you’ll get a more effective workout.
Improve Your Posture
Shapewear that covers your midsection does more than just give you the figure you desire. It has a design that helps to straighten your spine, which in turn makes you stand up straighter, as well as, sit straighter. The shapewear, also, helps the muscles that support the spine, to stay in place. Better posture, while sitting or standing, can help to alleviate pain in your back. Wearing your shapewear regularly, and having better posture because of it, can give you increased confidence in all parts of your life, especially in professional settings where posture is a huge part of that type of demeanour.
Help Your Mental and Emotional Self
Shapewear helps you shape your body to look the way you want. When we look better, we tend to feel better about ourselves. Feeling good about yourself helps you be more confident and gives a boost to your self-esteem.
There’s a treatment in psychology called “Deep Pressure Therapy.” It’s used to give people a sense of security and comfort. Midsection shapewear provides you with a hug-like feeling, much like what you get through deep pressure therapy. It can make you feel much more secure, and help to lessen the feelings associated with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks.
Help Regulate Your Blood Flow
Shapewear uses compression technology to compress extra skin or fat into a more desirable area, or simply smooth it out. Studies have shown that the compression could boost the thermal activity in your skin. The increase in thermal activity, in turn, can cause blood flow to increase. Increased blood flow is beneficial for your overall health, and also benefits your skin.
Buying Your Shapewear
Knowing what kind of shapewear to buy can be a little bit daunting. There are a lot of different kinds, but also a lot of things to consider. We’ll cover the kinds in a minute. First, here are some tips to help you with choosing the shapewear that’s right for you:
- Start with basic pieces – slip dress or mid-thigh shaper.
- Be realistic, you’ll cut inches, but not sizes.
- Shapewear should be fairly comfortable.
- When possible, try on your shapewear before buying.
Select your constriction level based on your goals:
- Medium constriction smooths out the lumps, bumps, and lines
- Strong constriction transforms your shape
Choose the right fabric for your environment:
- Spandex or nylon for colder climates or seasons
- Cotton for the warmer climates or seasons
- Add specialized pieces for specific areas (see more about this below).
Do a “sit test” to make sure your shapewear doesn’t show out from under clothing you would wear over it.
Here’s a list of some of the shapewear pieces you can add to your wardrobe:
- Mid-thigh shaper: shapes and slims the thighs, as well as, provide support and shaping to the rear; targets the thighs, rear, belly, hips, and waist.
- Slip dress: an all-over piece for wearing under dresses and skirts; targets the whole core of the body.
- Tights: shapes the whole bottom half of your body; targets the hips, rear, waist, and thighs.
- Panties: made to shape and smooth out the waist and rear; targets the tummy, waist, hips, and rear.
- Full body suit with chest cut-out: sometimes known as a torsette, it gives you the smoothing and slimming in your midsection, but allows you to wear your own bra of choice; targets the waist and belly.
- Leggings: can be worn on their own and shape the lower half of your body; targets the rear, thighs, calves, and hips.
- Camisole: gives you shaping and slimming under your favourite tops, while also giving you a layering option; targets the midsection and the back.
Shapewear does so much more than just shape. With the right pieces of shapewear, you can look great, boost your self-esteem, and enjoy many other benefits to your mental and physical health. Getting the right shapewear for you is as simple as, deciding what your goals are, and then selecting the pieces that will help you reach those goals. If you follow the tips above and pick a combination of pieces that fit your needs, you’ll be able to start reaping all of the benefits that shapewear has to offer, while also looking you are very best.